Sunday, May 8, 2011

How to make a wallet

I've had a few people ask for the directions on How to make a wallet, so yesterday I did a little tutorial. I hope it is easy to follow


1. Materials Needed
at least 10" of fabric(I usually use denham - it seems to last longer)
1 yard 5/8' Grosgrain ribbon
1 yaed 7/8" Grosgrain ribbon
2. A Cut (1) (9 1/2 x 10 1/2)
B Cut (4) (3 x 4 1/4)
C Cut (2) (2 3/4 x 4 1/4)

3. D Take 2 of B and cut the top off at a 45 angle

4. I usually finger press the ribbon in half.


5. sew the ribbon on the top of D (the 45 angle) and on each side of C


6. Place D on top of B to make E. You will have one angled up to the right and one to the left. Sew the ribbon on the short side. This will give you one left and one right piece


7. Press A in half and unfold - place face up.


Position the left E and the right E. Place C in the middle.


8. Sew C down along one side (depending on if it's for a righty or lefty). I usually go down one side of the ribbon and back up the other side.

9. Sew a piece of 5/8" ribbon along the top of the inside piece


10. Fold the wallet (make sure the outside is about 1/2" longer than the inside) and sew along the outside edges close to the edge.

11. Now sew the 7/8" ribbon around the entire wallet (just like a binding)

I usually press it flat then tri-fold it and steam press it.
Sorry the pictures aren't that great - still have camera problems (must be the idiot taking the pictures)

It's really very easy, I've been making them for years - I hope the directions are easy to follow.


Since I needed pictures to go along with the directions I make my husband 2 new wallets with his monagram on them. (Poor thing thought I did his initials wrong)

Happy Mother's Day to him.
AND A HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL THE SPECIAL MOTHER'S OUT THERE.

4 comments:

Barb said...

Awesome tutorial!!

Joanne Lendaro said...

Looks simple enough...thanks for taking the time to write this up!

Needled Mom said...

Great tutorial. I am going to have to give this a try.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I wanted to drop you a quick note to express my thanks. I’ve been following your blog for a month or so and have picked up a ton of good information as well as enjoyed the way you’ve structured your site.CK Scarves,COACH Scarves,Canada Goose Coats